Thursday 5 August 2010

You know the cafe from the film Babel?

I've been asking this question to everyone in the hope that they might say yes, and be impressed by the fact that i played there. It's called J pop cafe and it's a pretty impressive place...



It was the first show of another great mission of a tour. I played solo as the others took alternative routes. When I began packing for the sojourn my old doubts resurfaced...

Why am I leaving New Zealand and potentially (probably) losing a lot of money to play music on the other side of the world to people who may not be interested?
Aren't there enough indie/pop/folk bands around?
Am I not trying to push another product that people do not need?
Am I just contributing to the capitalist machine?


These questions are yet to be resolved fully, though i console myself with the fact that we make no profit; spread peace & love; consider our decisions and their impact on others and the earth; play songs of hope, triumph and rebellion; we must survive somehow and pop music with a political punch is surely better than the other pap...
um...to be continued...



Kohei (friend and promoter depicted above) sorted me out nicely while I was in town. The show was mad... I played first to a very attentive audience. The timing of their clapping during 'data entry daydream' was impeccable and unrelenting...

I was followed by Kohei's cousin GEN and then a traditional Japanese dance outfit called Bugaku.


This is me and Gen playing a cover of 'Not given lightly' by Chris Knox. It was pretty special...


A great evening...

(Thanks to Sam Wicks from Real Groove for the pictures)

Lake.

No comments: